Unfortunately, the weather decided to be uncooperative on Sunday, leaving me no opportunity to introduce the girls to their new homes. It doesn’t help that my bee yard is about 30-40 minutes away, but the weather just wasn’t cooperating.
Well, Monday evening was looking a bit better, so I hopped in the car and drove up. My wife and youngest son decided to come with and watch the fun.
My bee supplier had assured me that hiving the packages shouldn’t be much drama at all, and that he generally didn’t wear any real protective clothing, so I decided to let my son wear my veil and helmet and that I’d go without.
We arrived at the bee yard, and found the weather deteriorating. But I figured that since we’d driving this far, we should probably just get with it.
After setting up the hive boxes and getting everything situated, it was time for the first package. Just in time for the rain and wind to start.
Without going into too much detail, let’s just say that the girls were pretty cranky after traveling and with the weather, and I took about ten or fifteen stings to the neck and head while getting the first package situated.
After my wife extracted most of the stingers for me, I snagged the veil from my son and went to finish the job. I got the hive closed up and decided to take the other package home and finish when the weather cleared up.
Tuesday evening brought fantastic weather, and I drove out to the bee yard to hive the other package. Thankfully with the nice weather and calm winds this package installation went uneventfully and with no unwanted holes in my hide.
This weekend I’ll be heading back out to check on them and make sure the queens are doing well and that the bees are drawing out their comb. I’ll try to take some pictures and post them then.