Where I left off last time, I had high hopes of getting half a box or so worth of honey off my overwintered hive. The other two were decently built up, but they hadn’t built up to a second brood box quite yet.
I got to the bee yard and took a look at the two new hives first. They were booming. I had left them each with a new medium box to expand into, and both have the second box almost full. They’ll need another box next time I get up there (probably this weekend). They should overwinter nicely this year and should do really well next year.
And now the fun part. Pulling the honey from the overwintered hive. I came prepared with a fume board and Bee Quick to clear out the supers. My plan was to pull the frames that were capped into one super and then use the board and Bee Quick to take care of them.
Well, I opened up the hive and was astonished to find not 3/4 of a super full of honey, but two full supers and they were working on the third.
All in all, I pulled about 50-70 pounds of honey off that hive. I haven’t fully extracted it yet so I don’t know what the final tally will be.
I hadn’t planned on extracting all that much so I didn’t rent an extractor. I figured I’d do crush and strain to get the honey out. All in all, it was pretty interesting and I’ll document that all later.
One side effect of this method is ending up with a ton of wax. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out…
(Yes, that’s part of my harvest in the picture, in pint and quart canning jars)